18 Apr 2016
Buddha Birthday festival is one of the most prestigious and magnificent cultural events in Queensland. Started in 1997, the event now attracts more than a hundred thousand people every year. Besides that, it is also the biggest international Buddhist Birthday festival. This year, the event is going to take place from 29 April to 1 May at South Bank Parklands in Brisbane. If you wish to prepare something special for the occasion, try this wonderful lemon filled vanilla cupcakes recipe at home and surprise your family or friends with a sweet treat:
For the cake -
2 cups of flour
1½ cups of sugar
3 tsp of baking powder
6 tbsp of butter (room temp.)
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of whole milk
A pinch of salt
For the lemon filling -
2 whole eggs
¾ cup of sugar
4 egg yolks
½ cup of fresh lemon juice
2 zested lemons
4 tbsp of unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven up to about 163°C and mix the flour, butter, sugar, salt and baking powder uniformly in a large bowl.
2. Concoct the eggs, vanilla and milk in a separate cup. Add the resulting mixture slowly to the previous one and combine lightly. Avoid over-mixing.
3. Distribute the batter evenly among the cupcake liners and bake for about half an hour until the top part of the cakes feels spongy to touch.
4. Heat all ingredients for the lemon filling in a saucepan excluding the butter. Keep stirring until the mixture starts coating the spoon’s back. Now turn off the heat source and pour in the butter. Combine until it melts and mixes uniformly. Your lemon filling is almost ready. Allow the concoction to cool.
5. When the cupcakes have cooled down, scoop out a small bit from the centre of their top. Spoon about 1 tsp of the lemon filling into each cupcake centre and cover with the bit that was scooped out.
6. Now is the time to frost the cupcakes. Take 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix it thoroughly with 8 tbsp of butter. Add 1 tsp of vanilla and 2 tbsp of milk to the mixture. Now add a food colouring of your choice. Fill the frosting inside a pastry bag, and pipe your cupcakes with creative designs and patterns.
Hope you will enjoy making the cupcakes as much as I did. For more such fun-filled recipes, stay connected to my blog.